Monday, January 16, 2006

Life is very good today. It is so warm that I have windows open! Fresh air! Aaahhhh!

This morning at the grocery, I finally gave in to my age-old urge to buy lots of the pickled/marinated/brined vegetables in bottles, and brought home artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, kalamata olive tapenade, and pesto--and also roasted turkey breast and fontina cheese, and Greek pita. With these ingredients I plan to make a neverending variety of paninis. I have tried already, and the experiment is good. Tasty and easy and surprisingly filling. When my mother and my aunt and I were in Venice, we found a little bakery where I insisted on buying some panforte, then we grabbed paninis and lemon soda at a little kiosk close to our hotel, and we took it all the deliciously air-conditioned hotel room. It was just wonderful, and I've always wanted to try making panforte since then... and find a place to buy Italian lemon soda (honestly, I'm sure I haven't found them because I don't really look)... and figure out how to make similarly good paninis. I did try a couple of recherche experiments, by filling the bread with a mixture of cubed fontina, chopped olives, and roasted garlic. It was not right at all. But this--just taking the straightforward approach and mixing and matching--has so far proved extremely satisfactory. I toast the panini in my big skillet, with my small skillet sitting on top to provide the weight. I do not need a fancy panini press.

And, the really good part of today: it is a national holiday, right? There is no mail delivery, right? Ahhhh, but for private carriers. The squirrels actually alerted me to the package. I sat down at my desk here, in my work room, which is at the front of the house, and there was a big commotion outside. I stood up to try to see exactly what kind of animals were making those startling sounds, and when I turned my head to look towards my front porch, voila! Two big fluffy squirrel tails attached to two cheeky squirrels who were actually sniffing at *my* package.
Inside is the ArtYarns Handpaint Stripes and, oh! How happy it has made me!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The red colorway is just the most gorgeous yarn I have ever seen in my life. Really. The color is deep and rich and glowing and sexy and the yarn is *so* soft. I have not ever seen Axelle's handpainted cashmere in real life, but this yarn--*this* yarn is a 10 out of 10 in my book, I cannot imagine better, I no longer need Axelle. It is soft and lustrous and dyed very richly. Oh, bliss. I threw a scarf around my neck and ran outside, to go to my LYS to buy some really *nice* size 8 needles and cast on for my clapotis. Then I remembered that the LYS (perennially unhelpful) is closed on Mondays. I swore and went back inside to write this entry.

1 comment:

Suse said...

Those sock yarns look gorgeous. I'm thinking I might tackle a sock (or two, I suppose it will have to be) this year. Must research yarns!

PS. Thanks for visiting my blog.